Parenting Teens – How to Make Your Investment Pay Off Later
We are offering great opportunity for parents of 7 -12 graders on Wednesday, January 7th at 7 pm in the sanctuary. Jacqueline Blomstrom, MSW; LICSW and a new Peace Church member will present ideas on parenting teens and then answer questions. We also hope there can be follow up groups if folks are interested.
Jacqueline is a licensed Psychotherapist at Northwood Children’s Services and has been working with children ages
5-21 and families with mental health issues for 10+ years. Jacqueline supervises and oversees the Northwood School Based Intensive Day Treatment Programs at four schools within the ISD-709 District. She works primarily with sexual acting out, abuse, neglect, aggression, depression, anxiety, behavior management, and parent/child relationship issues.
Our evening together will include presentation/discussions on:
- Parenting Styles
- Parenting Fears
- Parenting Pitfalls — being their friend, how to let them fail, setting limits, who their friends are.
- Consequences and Limit Setting — the how’s of when to set them, how to set them, and what to expect when you set them.
- Investing in your relationship with your child — effective self-disclosure and empowerment
- How much privacy do they need and what’s your role in it all? (phones, internet, porn, curfews, friends, etc.)
- What behaviors can lead to more serious concerns?
There will be a time for questions at the end, with the reminder that this is a broad discussion and more specific questions can be addressed afterward.